AMEREN, Newton, IL
Senior Safety Supervisor
Energy and Utilities
Req. # 11668
Title: Senior Safety Supervisor
Location: Newton, IL
The Sr. Safety Supervisor develops, implements and administers processes to prevent all accidents and
injuries. The Sr. Safety Supervisor supervises, monitors, coaches and advises hourly and management
personnel regarding company safety policies, procedures and processes. Key responsibilities include:
- Review, interpret and monitor federal and state safety, health and fire protection regulations.
- Work with applicable Ameren departments and AER to develop and implement safety compliance directives,
procedures and processes.
- Observe work in progress and determine effectiveness of safety processes. Coach personnel to ensure
compliance with safety policies and processes.
- Monitor and assist contractors and vendors to ensure compliance with safety policies and regulations.
- Provide safety compliance guidance to management.
- Interact with federal agencies, professional organizations, trade organizations and regulatory
proceedings as assigned.
- Administer Workmen Compensation program.
- Administer the asbestos program.
- Lead the Safety Committee.
- Administer and implement regulatory and other required training.
- Perform industrial hygiene monitoring.
- Lead inspections, audits and accident or near-miss investigations as required. Develop and communicate
alerts within AER.
-Assist with planning, development and operation of emergency response training programs.
-Continuously evaluate industry practices and lessons learned in order to improve safety.
Education: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university required, preferably in Industrial
Safety, Safety Engineering, Industrial Hygiene or a related field. Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
Experience: Five or more years of applicable experience in developing/implementing effective safety and
accident prevention processes required. Two or more years of supervisory experience preferred. Ten or more years of power plant or relevant industry experience preferred.
Other: Strong working knowledge of electrical utility practices and electrical safety, accident
investigations, OSHA regulations, regulatory audits, accident reduction principles, safety training
methods, industrial hygiene, injury record keeping, and fire protection required. Excellent leadership,
communication, and human relations skills required. Must have ability to promote change, demonstrate
innovative thinking skills, exhibit employee development abilities and design and administer compliance