Kaskaskia College Green Team
With guidance from our Core Values, the Kaskaskia College Green Team believes in
responsible stewardship and sustainable practices that contribute to the welfare
of our region. Thus, we intend to raise awareness of environmental issues,
provide information, offer advice, and implement practices that serve these
The Illinois Green Economy Network (IGEN) is a partnership of all 39 Illinois community college districts and 48 campuses working with businesses and local communities to grow Illinois’ green economy, providing new employment opportunities and healthy communities for all.
The Centralia Clean and Green Board encourages everyone in Centralia to get involved in keeping our community clean. The Keep Centralia Beautiful / Clean & Green organization is our local affiliate of the nation-wide Keep America Beautiful organization.
LEED Certification provides a framework for green building and maintenance.
Illinois Sustainable University Compact outlines 12 environmental goals universities and community colleges may adopt on their campuses.
The Kaskaskia College Arboretum, sponsored by the KC Foundation, maintains a wide variety of trees across our campus.
A Green Kaskaskia College
Below is a list of actions Kaskaskia College has already taken to be greener:
- Construction of LEED Certified Buildings. Our two most recent construction projects, the Vandalia Educational Center and the Life Long Learning Center, received LEED Certification, a framework constructed by the US Green Building Council whose purpose is to promote more environmentally responsible building and maintenance.
- Educating our Community. A number of departments and programs, including the Green Team, publish materials that encourage and explain steps that can be taken to preserve and beautify our environment. Recently our HVAC program has sent out a flyer on cutting down on heating costs during the winter, and our Students in Entrepreneurial Leadership publish a newsletter that promotes local businesses. The Student Congress has also encouraged the KC Family to sign a sustainability pledge.
- Recycling. Kaskaskia College was awarded a grant from the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity that helped create a robust recycling effort at our college. Currently KC recycles paper, cardboard, glass, aluminum, and plastic. We also recycle our ink and toner cartridges.
- Conservation: Kaskaskia College is a member of the Illinois Sustainable University Compact, which includes objectives such as using renewable energy, green building, sustainable transportation options, water conservation, and sustainable dining practices. Further, our Salem Educational Center HVAC system is Geo-Thermal.
- Arboretum: The Kaskaskia College Arboretum, sponsored by the KC Foundation, maintains a wide variety of trees across our campus.
Current Green Team Projects
Organizing an office supply swap meet and construction more recycling bins.
Comments and Questions
If you have any questions or comments about the Green Team’s effort to create a more sustainable KC, please contact us.